Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Illustration Friday "Match"


I have been messing around trying to experiment with ways to create seamless tile patterns this week. Then it dawned on me that this actually fits in well with IF's theme this week ..."Match". I used a distortion effect in "Mirage" called "Kaleidescope". When applied using 4 or 8 segments, the result gives you a tile with no hard edges when arranged in a tile pattern. I started out with this little scribble below.



Then I experimented with different kaleidescope settings, and came up with a simple design that I applied a center blur to and came up with the tile below.



After creating this tile, I created another tile on a seperate layer using different kaleidescope settings, and adjusting the opacity of each layer. The tile below is what I came up with after a bit of tweaking and some volumetric light.

I've been having a blast with this, and just for the heck of it, I put it up on the background of this blog, to see how it looked. Yeah its a bit loud, but there are so many ways to create different patterns. I'm pretty sure you can create seamless tiles in adobe, yet I'm not so sure about the kaleidescope effect.

11 comments:

° said...

i lik eur orginal scribble and the affter effect of it too nice work

Rusty Mills said...

Valerie these are great. I love your colors. The little design you started with is nice on it's own. Nice stuff!

Bill Z said...

very cool - I like the original scribble too - was that done with a repeat too, or was the whole thing by hand? I was looking for some someware to help me do my opposites picture but I didn't find any so I just tiled it in photoshop - very hard to make it match up

Valeriannah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ELLA ELVIANA said...

the scribble is beautiful already, and it makes a great tile pattern..!

chris chua said...

wow..these are so cool! love the vibrant colors and the patterns too:)

Alexiev said...

Good patern...

Saludos desde Buenos Aires...

Unknown said...

Lovely design!

Issi said...

its amazing, beautiful,
best wishes,
Issi

Alexiev said...

Incredible imagenes... I like as they work with the color... Greetings from Buenos Aires...

http://www.alexiev.com.ar
Alexiev Store

Susan said...

I love the crisp edges and vibrant colors! I have no idea how you do the kaliescope effect. It must be a computer thing way beyond me, but you have a strong hanlde on it!
Great graphics!!
(And thanks for visiting my site.
I'm pretty new at this.)